Tuesday 1 January 2013

Today, I sat beside a carpenter




I was on my way to church for midweek service. I had had a long day in school but it didn't stop me from speaking some words to the Holy spirit, praying in tongues. I was however late and a bit flustered about that because I hate going late for church.
The lady to my left came down about two bus stops before mine and left me sitting beside a dark man in a supposed white shirt and a black big 'bagco' bag on his laps. I didn't take much notice of him until I felt my forearm was wet. I turned to take a good look at him, annoyed that his sweat was soiling my forearm. In trying to stay clear of the wet shirt, I kept turning my forearm but I gave up when I heard my friend tell me that it was pointless. If you've ever been in an Ibadan danfoo, you will understand what I mean.
I realized that what he carried in His bag were tools and instruments probably of his trade- carpentry. Then a verse came to my head about The Carpenter we worship:
'There was nothing attractive about him, nothing to cause us to take a second look.' Isaiah 53:2 (MSG).
Up until that point it was easy for me to associate Christ as a ‘tush’ carpenter, with clean clothes, and well tanned skin, sea blue eyes and a smile that could disarm anybody. He was the six-foot, six-pack,  6 zero salary earner, with two dimples and no pimples. His sandals were made by the best shoemaker in his world and his tunic was held by a gold belt.
Hello! Am I talking about the same Christ here? I doubt it.
It was easy for me to turn away in disgust from that carpenter in the bus and pour my love on the Carpenter in the word which I read and believe.
It is easy to scoff at this carpenter but get angry at anyone who does so to the Carpenter.
It’s hard to place both pictures together and reconcile them as one.

Today I sat beside a carpenter and realized he may have just been the Lord, our Savior.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment