Tuesday 4 September 2012

To my friend, Shaki

To my friend, Shaki.

Every morning since the year started, I’ve had a fresh cause to thank God. People are poor! I have a friend called Shaki, who lost her dad last April, and is yet to enter the university. Today, she said I’m not feeling the subsidy removal because I have all the food I need at home. I laugh. I cant defend myself because I am rich, rather my parents are rich. I want to help her- I want to tell her that she should focus on getting a degree and not let any boy use her anyhow. I know she has a good head resting on her shoulders.
Shaki, thank you for letting me see how privileged I am. I haven’t had the opportunity to skip a meal because I was utterly broke. I haven’t had to drop out of school because I didn’t pay for school fees. I know there have been times at home where it was because of goodwill, my school let me stay till I paid. I did not have go to a school where my uniforms and textbooks were for free. I’m in my fourth year in the university; I speak good English because I grew up in a contained environment. My grandfather retired as a judge, my grandmother as a high school teacher, my mom’s late father as an engineer and her mom is still an efficient house grandma!
I know that all these do not ultimately make me and it’s up to me to make it in my own life, but you see I was born with a silver spoon and it is making things easier. I thank You Lord for sparing my parents and siblings- it has given me the sweetest childhood any child would want. The difference between me and that crack addict is the fact that her parents got divorced at a young age while mine have remained together for 27years and counting. I am grateful and do not take for granted that my dad never lost his job. There were times when we did not have a car to transport us but we did not utterly fall, even if it was just by a strand that we were saved. We’ve been living in our house for over 10 years- this means that my dad never had to pay rent to any landlord; we never got eviction notices or run-down landlords. Am I better than any of these people who don’t have what I have?
At times I get scared of that stone that will hit my glass wall from outside and cause my world to turn upside down- a broken heart, a deceased parent, a miscarriage, a re-sit or repeat examination- but I can only trust in You, God. Job waited for disaster and got it. I’m not oblivious to suffering because it creates a different kind of supernatural strength but in my lofty comfort, I’m grateful that You are good. I love You and I appreciate the grace You’ve given me. I pray that I do not let the comfort of the world you’ve allowed me to have to get into my head and make me think that that is what makes a man prosperous. I ask for wisdom to be friends with people not in my position – to respect and love them like you would. I ask for the grace to know when I should give to people who need my help. I pray for the wisdom to be a blessing to anybody that comes my way and not let my ‘perfectly carved world’ rub me of my greatness. Help me to discover myself and be used for Your glory.
I am grateful.
Thank you again Shaki.
Thank You Lord.

Yours truly,
Ore e tooto.

No comments:

Post a Comment